Target: Justice Dept. investigates its data breach


This Dec. 19, 2013, photo shows a Target store near Target headquarters in Minneapolis. Target says that about 40 million credit and debit card accounts customers may have been affected by a data breach that occurred at its U.S. stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15. (AP Photo/The Star Tribune, Glen Stubbe) MANDATORY CREDIT; ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS OUT; MAGS OUT; TWIN CITIES TV OUT


NEW YORK — Target Corp. said the Department of Justice is investigating the credit and debit card security breach at the retailer that’s being called the second largest such incident in U.S. history.

The DOJ declined to comment on whether it’s investigating the breach at Target, the nation’s second largest discounter.

Target also said that it’s teaming up with the U.S. Secret Service in its own investigation. Target said the Secret Service has asked the company not to share many of the details of the probe.

Additionally, Target said that it held a conference call with the state attorneys general today.

The investigations and the call come after Target said earlier this week that data connected to about 40 million credit and debit card accounts was stolen starting over the Thanksgiving weekend.