DETROIT -- A union leader says Detroit buses will roll again Tuesday after a drivers’ protest over safety issues halted operations for a day.
About 150 drivers held a rally today outside Detroit City Hall to demonstrate against what they say are a series of on-the-job attacks on drivers.
Local union President Fred Westbrook tells the Detroit Free Press that service should resume Tuesday.
Westbrook says two drivers were stabbed, one came under attack from three passengers and one had urine thrown on her.
Detroit city official Gary Brown tells The Associated Press that the union members voted 2-to-1 last week to reject a proposed contract with the city and says the timing of the sick-out is “no coincidence.”
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.