East Toledo laundromat fire started in lint traps


A blaze at an East Toledo laundromat started with buildup in the lint traps of the dryers, authorities said.

The fire was reported about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday at Superior Coin Laundry, 1013 Starr Ave. Smoke and flames were showing through the roof of the structure upon arrival, Battalion Chief Jerry Abair said.

Though the mesh screens that capture lint from the dryers may be cleaned, fires often start with the fuzz and lint that falls below the mesh traps, Chief Abair said. Fire crews often encourage residents to vaccuum out those vents from underneath the machine, he said.

The blaze caused about $40,000 in damage.