LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

To the editor: Toledo is a much better city today than in years past

11/12/2017

Returning to Toledo after 43 years has been a nice surprise.

When we left, Toledo was going through a time of unrest and fear. Store windows were broken, and fear was pervasive.

My return has been a pleasant experience — seeing new businesses, shopping at the stores, and exchanging greetings and smiles with everyone I meet.

BARBARA HANNON

Collins Street

Click here to submit a letter to the editor

Maybe West Toledo should be on its own

Who would be in favor of a move to incorporate West Toledo as a new city and allow it to secede from Toledo? (Nov. 9, “Possible issue of race in election results is debated.”)

If we are all bigots and racists, then let’s allow Toledo to govern the inner city, and we can be left alone to form a responsible government.

H. WILLIAM COLLINS

Adams Street

The Blade, Kelly wrong about call

“General Kelly gave the most riveting and moving performance by a public figure since attorney Joseph Welch took down Joe McCarthy in 1954” proclaimed the Oct. 23 editorial, “One sacred thing.”

The two couldn’t be further apart: Mr. Welch confronted a demagogue; Mr. Kelly defended one. 

The Blade has the responsibility to not promote falsehoods. It printed this: “General Kelly said he was ‘stunned’ that the private conversation between a Gold Star mother and the President should have been violated.” 

This is wrong. He said he was “stunned” when he heard Florida Rep. Frederica Wilson say she was “instrumental in getting the funding” for a new South Florida FBI field office. She never said that.

As for the “private conversation,” The Blade reported that General Kelly said: “ I thought at least that was sacred.” Ms. Wilson was riding in the car to help console the family when the President’s call came. Mr. Kelly chose to violate the “sacred” private conversation by listening in. He accused Ms. Wilson of something he did.

MARK HOOVER

Petersburg, Mich.