Man cleared in killing found guilty of assault


An Oregon man acquitted last year in the deaths of a Springfield Township couple was found guilty Tuesday of felonious assault for beating up his girlfriend.

Cameo Pettaway, 23, of 922 Mambrino Rd. pleaded no contest to the charge before Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Stacy Cook. He faces up to eight years in prison when sentenced April 22.

Brad Smith, an assistant county prosecutor, told the court Sarah Rupert called 911 early Oct. 14 asking for police and saying her boyfriend had just beat her up.

Pettaway, who was upstairs at the time police were called, was immediately arrested.

At St. Charles Hospital, it was determined that Ms. Rupert’s left orbital floor and medial orbital wall around her eye were fractured.

During a recorded Lucas County jail phone call, Mr. Smith said, Pettaway told the victim she had angered him. “You just was asking for it,” he reportedly said.

Last July, Pettaway, who is out of jail on bond, was acquitted of aggravated murder by Judge James Bates for lack of evidence in the 2011 slayings of Lisa Straub and Johnny Clarke.