Police identify 2 UT students involved in fatal stabbing

Josiah Galat, who died after being stabbed at the University of Toledo.
Josiah Galat, who died after being stabbed at the University of Toledo.

The students involved in a fatal stabbing Wednesday night at the University of Toledo have been identified.

Dead is Josiah Galat, 20, of Mansfield. Mr. Galat was a senior studying engineering, according to university officials.

Injured and being treated for multiple stab wounds is Erik Littleton, 19, of Detroit, a sophomore studying engineering.

Police said the two were stabbed as the two got into a fight in a stairwell at the Horton International House, an on-campus residence hall.

UT officials said a 911 call was made at 9:02 p.m. by a driver who had "no part" in the incident. Four minutes later, police arrived on scene. At 9:10 p.m., and found Mr. Littleton outside of the hall.

RELATED CONTENT: The Blade 2012 Homicide Report

At 9:23 p.m., police found a Mr. Galat inside the building.

"There is nothing we could have done to prevent this," Chief Newton said.

No charges have been filed, Chief Newton said.

"These individuals both had reason to be there. They were staying there, they had IDs, and had checked in, and had a dispute," said Larry Burns, vice president for external affairs. "It's important to realize that UT's campus is very safe, but unfortunately, these things occur and we're very saddened by that."

UT students, faculty, and staff received an electronic alert about 20 minutes after the second victim was found warning of a dangerous situation at International House and urging them to stay away.

The university is on winter break. International House during the break is residence to six students, four staff members, and four student workers. When the university is in session, International House, located near Rocket Hall, houses 400 students.

Initial reports Wednesday night indicated that there were three crime scenes being looked at; during the news conference, Chief Newton said the entire building was blocked off and the scene "right now is being broken down."

Officials expect normal activity in the building to resume today.