Fire damages home in central Toledo

1/11/2013
BLADE STAFF

 

A home in Toledo's central city was damaged in a fire Thursday night by a man who accidentally set a mattress on fire while looking to satisfy a sweet tooth.

The fire, reported at 11:29 p.m. at 2528 Ayers Ave., caused about $5,000 damage, said fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.

The man was apparently using a lighter to look for candy under a bed when the mattress caught fire, the lieutenant said.

Toledo fire crews were called to another central city home today, at 625 Waverly Ave. at 2:42 a.m.

The fire, which will likely be ruled electrical, caused an estimated $25,000 damage, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said.

No one was home at the time of the fire; neighbors said people had recently moved in and appeared to be making renovations.

No injuries were reported in either incident.