Saturday, Jul 23, 2016
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio

Police & Fire

Jerusalem Township home destroyed in blaze started by lighting wood stove

Family was using gasoline to help light fire

 

A two-story house in Jerusalem Township was destroyed Saturday by a fire that began as residents used gasoline to help light a wood stove.

The owner of the house at 513 Club House Blvd., Barbara Pelfrey, was treated at the scene for flash burns, said Harold Stanton, the Jerusalem Township fire chief.

The fire began in the family room when gasoline spilled. As the fire spread, Ms. Pelfrey, her daughter, and two young sons and pets escaped.

Chief Stanton, responding to the scene, saw heavy smoke two miles away.

The Jerusalem Township fire department was assisted by the Allen-Clay Joint Fire District.

The fire was under control within 45 minutes, but firefighters remained on scene until about 8:55 p.m.

The house, built in 1923 according to Lucas County auditor's records, was a total loss.

 

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2015 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…