West Toledo family displaced, uninjured in house fire started by unattended candles


A house fire today at 5328 Fleet Rd., in West Toledo was started by unattended burning candles, authorities said.

Lt. Matt Hertzfeld, Toledo Fire Department spokesman, said the fire started in a bedroom of the house about 5:30 p.m., after a teenager left candles burning on a dresser. The teenager, as well as an adult, were displaced. They were not home at the time of the fire. 

Damage to the property is estimated to be about $2,000, he said. Smoke damage throughout the house, as well as damage to the bedroom were found.

Lt. Hertzfeld said one firefighter was injured while the department was trying to extinguish the blaze. The firefighter was treated for minor injuries at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center and released, he said.