BOWLING GREEN — Ohio Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor announced Tuesday that the state has earmarked $11.2 million for bridge improvement projects in Lucas and Wood counties.
Two Lucas County bridges — on Taylor Road over Otter Creek in East Toledo and on Crabb Road over Shantee Creek in North Toledo — are slated for upgrades totaling $850,000. In addition to the two Lucas County bridges, there are 18 earmarked for repairs in Wood County. Some of the projects will begin this year, while others are scheduled to start in 2015 and 2016.
In all, the state plans to invest $120 million to repair 30 northwest Ohio bridges, with a total of 220 such projects across Ohio, the lieutenant governor said.
The projects, some of which were announced last year, with the list expanded Tuesday, were made possible in part by borrowing against the Ohio Turnpike, she said.
That maneuver generated $1.5. billion, which grew to $3 billion when paired with federal and local funds provided by contributing counties.
“This will be a $2.5 billion state-wide construction season; the largest ever,” she said during a news conference at the Wood County highway garage in Bowling Green.
“We know it will be frustrating at times for travelers,” she added. “But it means jobs and great infrastructure.”
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation’s schedule, repairs on the Taylor Road Bridge over Otter Creek would cost an estimated $300,000 and the Crabb Road Bridge over Shantee Creek would cost about $550,000, with repairs slated to begin in 2016.
Wood County Commissioner Jim Carter said the bridge repairs will play a vital role in his county’s future economic survival. According to the state’s schedule, five bridges in Wood County will be repaired or renovated in 2014, six more will be attended to in 2015, and seven more will be worked on in 2016.
“Agriculture is so important to Wood County,” Commissioner Carter said. “Today’s farm machinery is made so large and heavy and our bridges are so narrow.”
The Wood County bridges, with date to begin construction and project cost, are listed below:
● Henrywood County Lane Road over Brusch Creek Road, 2016, $465,780
● Mermill Road, over Ditch 2172, 2014, $447,720
● Bradner Road over Henry Ditch, 2014, $556,080
● Jerry City Road over the Portage River, 2014, $628,320
● Liberty HI Road over the Portage River, 2016, $727,860
● Lemoyne Road over Toussaint Creek, 2016, $646,380
● Tracy Road over Cedar Creek, 2015, $253,260
● Range Line Road over the Portage River, 2014, $632,940
● Jerry City Road over the Portage River, 2015, $714,420
● Five Point Road over Cedar Creek, 2015, $284,760
● Latcha Road over Cedar Creek, 2015, $438,480
● Jerry City Road over Ditch 2441, 2015, $253,260
● Liberty Hi Road over the Portage River, 2016, $1,076,040
● Owen Road over Cedar Creek, 2014, $583,380
● Park Avenue over the Portage River, 2015, $777,420
● Lime City Road over Grassy Creek, 2016, $614,880
● Dunbridge Road over Toussaint Creek, 2016, $338,940
● Collins Road over Henry Ditch, 2016, $917,700.
Contact Federico Martinez at: email@example.com or 419-724-6154.