Loading…
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Home » Galleries
Published: 7/7/2014 - Updated: 2 months ago


Port Clinton lighthouse

A restored 1896 lighthouse will soon return to the Port Clinton waterfront as a beacon for visitors and history lovers. The roughly 26-foot-tall wooden lighthouse stood on the Portage River’s west pier until 1952, when it was removed and taken to a local marina. CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE AND START SLIDESHOW

John Smothers, left, and Bill Moon work on the Port Clinton Lighthouse. The conservancy in charge of restoration hopes to have the lighthouse installed at Water Works Park by late summer or early fall. Enlarge | Buy This Photo John Smothers, left, and Bill Moon work on the Port Clinton Lighthouse. The conservancy in charge of restoration hopes to ...
THE BLADE/LORI KING
Brooke Brown walks down from the lantern room of the Port Clinton Lighthouse, housed in a Brands’ Marina boat storage bay. Enlarge | Buy This Photo Brooke Brown walks down from the lantern room of the Port Clinton Lighthouse, housed in a Brands’ Marina boat storage bay.
THE BLADE/LORI KING
The Port Clinton lighthouse, built in 1896, was removed from the pier in 1952 by a local marina. Enlarge The Port Clinton lighthouse, built in 1896, was removed from the pier in 1952 by a local marina.
The restoration is nearly complete. A few finishing touches — such as straightening the vent ball atop the octagonal lantern house and hanging the door — remain. Enlarge | Buy This Photo The restoration is nearly complete. A few finishing touches — such as straightening the vent ball atop the octagonal lantern ...
THE BLADE/LORI KING
Jordan Davenport prepares the Port Clinton lighthouse for relocation. It's currently stored inside a Brand's Marina boat storage bay. Enlarge | Buy This Photo Jordan Davenport prepares the Port Clinton lighthouse for relocation. It's currently stored inside a Brand's Marina boat storage bay....
THE BLADE/LORI KING
From left: Rich Norgard, president of the Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy, Darrell Brand, Jordan Davenport, Bill Moon, John Smothers, and Brooke Brown all had a hand in renovating the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge | Buy This Photo From left: Rich Norgard, president of the Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy, Darrell Brand, Jordan Davenport, Bill Moon, John Smothers, and ...
THE BLADE/LORI KING
John Smothers works on the front door to the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge | Buy This Photo John Smothers works on the front door to the Port Clinton lighthouse.
THE BLADE/LORI KING
A rotten vertical side beam and old bolts removed from the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge | Buy This Photo A rotten vertical side beam and old bolts removed from the Port Clinton lighthouse.
THE BLADE/LORI KING
Darrell Brand, left, and Bill Moon watch John Smothers sand the edge of a door. Enlarge | Buy This Photo Darrell Brand, left, and Bill Moon watch John Smothers sand the edge of a door.
THE BLADE/LORI KING
A list of chores is hung near a pile of tools and wood used to renovate the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge | Buy This Photo A list of chores is hung near a pile of tools and wood used to renovate the Port Clinton lighthouse.
THE BLADE/LORI KING
Brooke Brown, left, and Bill Moon hold a rotted piece of a beam. They replaced about 3 feet of the rotted beam that was on the base of the lighthouse. Enlarge | Buy This Photo Brooke Brown, left, and Bill Moon hold a rotted piece of a beam. They replaced about 3 feet of the ...
THE BLADE/LORI KING
A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse.
A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse.
A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse. Enlarge A historic photo from the Ottawa County Museum of the Port Clinton lighthouse.


Poll