SANDUSKY — Supporters of the Erie County Humane Society are launching a fund-raising effort for the shelter manager, Amy Wieber, whose house was severely damaged in a fire Thursday morning.
Sandusky firefighters responded to the scene of a house fire at 809 Central Ave. at 8:20 a.m. Perkins Township firefighters also helped.
Ms. Wieber and her 5-year-old son, the only residents of the house, were not home at the time.
The family’s two dogs, a “pit bull” mix named Lola and a miniature pinscher named Lucy, both died in the fire, said Barbara Hargreaves, director of the humane society. Firefighters tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate the dogs, who suffered smoke inhalation.
The Sandusky Fire Department said the structure sustained $50,000 in damage, and the loss of the inside contents was valued at $25,000.
An account has been set up at First Federal Bank of Ohio on U.S. 250 for monetary donations. Ms. Hargreaves also is keeping track of donated items to help Ms. Wieber.
“We’ve already had donations dropped at the shelter for her son Bradley’s school uniform,” Ms. Hargreaves said.
The group’s Facebook page reads, “Amy is a single mother and it appears that she has lost everything in the fire. Please understand if our staff is a little down today as we are like family here and when one of us hurts, all of us hurt.”
Ms. Wieber has worked at the shelter for almost a year, Ms. Hargreaves said. “She is very well loved and we are all trying to support her through this horrible time,” she said.