Loading…
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeA&EBooks
Published: Friday, 10/18/2013 - Updated: 8 months ago

Munro declines invite to Nobel Prize ceremony

ASSOCIATED PRESS

STOCKHOLM — The Swedish Academy says Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro won’t travel to Stockholm to collect her award because of poor health.

Academy secretary Peter Englund said in an email today that the 82-year-old Canadian writer had declined the invitation, and that it’s not yet clear who will represent her at the Dec. 10 award ceremony.

The academy announced last week that Munro had won the $1.2 million prize for this year, and called her a “master of the contemporary short story.”

Munro has published more than a dozen collections of short stories since the 1960s, often focusing on the lives of girls and women from the towns and farming communities in her home region of southwestern Ontario.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories