Teresa Stebbins writes, “This is a family favorite.”
Three Bean & Cornbread Casserole
- 2 21-ounce cans baked beans
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen baby lima beans
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
Combine the ingredients for the bean layer and place in 9“x13” greased dish. Beat the topping ingredients until smooth and spread over beans.
Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes.
— Teresa Stebbins
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.