Thursday, November 26, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 2/21/2014 - Updated: 1 year ago

Sparks to retire, return next day

Leader says his ‘double dip’ to help Children Services

Dean Sparks Dean Sparks

The executive director of Lucas County Children Services will retire next month, then be hired back the next day.

Dean Sparks, who has led the department since 1997, will retire as executive director on March 31 and will return April 1 on a contract that runs until August, 2015. He will take a pay cut, but end up with significantly more take-home pay because he will receive his salary and pension.

“I'm not going to try to hide that, nor am I going to apologize for it,” he said.

Mr. Sparks currently makes about $134,000 annually; on April 1, his salary will decrease to $123,000.

He estimated he'll receive at least $70,000 a year from his pension, however.

Mr. Sparks, 60, said he has worked for children services departments for more than 30 years and has been eligible to retire for about a year and a half. He acknowledged the stigma around “double dipping” and argued the arrangement is a benefit to both the department and himself.

Mr. Sparks' pension is money he contributed, so the agency saves more than $10,000. He could stay retired, but he said Children Services has lost several top administrators in recent months and his departure right now would create a leadership vacuum. That would be especially challenging for the department, he said, because Children Services has lost significant funding in recent years and faces a tight budget.

He said he will continue in his current role as well as recruit new administrators and work on a succession plan for his replacement.

Contact Nolan Rosenkrans at: nrosenkrans@theblade.com or 419-724-6086, or on Twitter @NolanRosenkrans.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories