LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles firefighters say a 98-year-old woman has died after being pulled from a house fire.
The woman, who was not identified, died of smoke inhalation. The fire early Saturday was sparked by a floor furnace.
Fire spokesman Erik Scott told City News Service that firefighters had to use saws to cut through the metal security door. Once inside, they found the woman near the entrance.
There was a smoke alarm in the house, but it was not immediately clear if it was working.
Firefighters fanned out around the neighborhood after knocking down the fire and handed out free smoke alarms to residents.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.