Ford Motor Company President and CEO Alan Mulally, right, shakes hands with United Auto Workers President Bob King during a news conference.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Enlarge
The United Auto Workers will ask Ford Motor Co. for a board seat during negotiations for a new labor contract, President Bob King said Friday.
“Will one of our proposals be for a board seat in Dearborn? Yes it will,” Mr. King told reporters near Ford’s headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. Ford and the UAW began talks Friday for a labor contract to replace an agreement that expires Sept. 14.
Ford is the only U.S. automaker that faces the threat of a strike in this year’s negotiations with the UAW. Workers at General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC, as part of U.S.- backed bankruptcies in 2009, agreed not to strike during these contract talks.
UAW members at Ford in 2009 rejected a strike ban similar to the ones at GM and Chrysler, in which unresolved differences would be decided by an arbitrator. Ford did not seek a U.S. bailout after borrowing more than $23 billion in late 2006.
Ford generated a total of $9.3 billion of net income in 2009 and 2010, and $4.9 billion in this year’s first half. GM and Chrysler started their negotiations with the Detroit-based union earlier this week.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.