DETROIT — A U.S. safety agency is demanding that General Motors turn over documents showing what the company knew about a dangerous ignition problem in older compact cars and how it responded.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating GM’s handling of the problem, which has been linked to 13 traffic deaths and prompted a global recall of 1.6 million cars. GM has acknowledged it was aware of the problem a decade ago but didn’t recall the cars until last month.
GM spokesman Alan Adler says the company received an order for the information Tuesday. He says GM is cooperating and welcomes the chance to help NHTSA fully understand the facts.
If the agency determines GM was slow to recall the cars or withheld information, it can fine it $35 million.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.