“This is a nice springtime soup when eating lighter is preferred,” writes Teresa Stebbins. “Using a good stock is what makes this delicious!”
Celery Cream Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (or additional broth)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- Celery seeds, for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper, for serving
- Herbed croutons, for serving
Heat the oil in a soup pot, and saute onion and garlic. Add celery; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock and wine; bring to a low boil until celery is soft and liquid is reduced in half, about 15 minutes. Puree, then add evaporated milk and reheat. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with crushed celery seeds, fresh ground pepper, and croutons
Yield: 3-4 servings.
Source: From Simply In Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert.
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.