Judy Bashforth writes, “To save time, prepackage almond toppings or other toppings without nuts may be substituted.”
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons sugar, scant
- 1 head romaine or other lettuce of your choice
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ quart (or more, if desired) fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red raspberry (or red wine) vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
In skillet, cook almonds and sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has melted and almonds are covered. Cool and break apart. Wash lettuce and dry.
Dressing: Whisk dressing ingredients or put in covered container and shake well.
Put lettuce in a salad bowl, add remaining ingredients and pour dressing over. Toss.
Note: One can of mandarin oranges may be used when fresh strawberries are unavailable.
— Judy Bashforth
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.