Friday, Jun 22, 2018
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio


Here's who should file their income tax, who you can call for help

Filing deadline

April 15 is a Tuesday. Don’t forget this date applies to Ohio taxes and municipal taxes too. You can get a six-month extension by filling out Form 4868 by April 15. You will owe interest on any taxes not paid by April 15.

Who must file

A taxpayer who is not the dependent of another taxpayer is required to file if his or her gross income exceeds certain dollar amounts:

■ $10,000 (single)

■ $11,500 (single age 65 or older)

■ $12,850 (head of household)

■ $14.350 (head of household, 65 or older)

■ $20,000 (married filing jointly)

■ $21,200 (married filing jointly with one age 65 or older)

■ $22,400 (married filing jointly with both over 65)

■ $3,900 (married filing separately)

■ $16,100 (qualifying widow or widower);

■ $17,300 (qualifying widow or widower age 65 or older)

In determining gross income, do not include Social Security benefits received.

For some people, it is a good idea to file even though not required by law to do so because the filer might be eligible for a refund. For example, you had income tax withheld from your pay, you qualify for the Earned Income Credit, or you qualify for the additional child tax credit.

If you worked during the year and had federal income tax withheld from your wages or made estimated tax payments, that potential refund only can be claimed by filing a federal tax return.

By law, unclaimed refunds are forfeited to the U.S. Treasury after three years.

Free filing

Free File offers a way that people of all income levels can prepare and file their federal income tax returns electronically and for free. If your income was $58,000 or less in 2013, you can access brand-name tax software to help you do your taxes. If your 2013 income was more than $58,000, you can access Free File Fillable Forms. Information is online at​freefile.


The refund clock starts ticking when the IRS receives and accepts your tax return. It will be much quicker if you efile. You generally can expect the IRS to issue your refund within 21 calendar days after the return is received.

To check on your refund, go to the “Where’s My Refund” section online at or call 800-829-1954.

Contact information

Here are phone numbers offering help:

■Individual tax assistance: 800-829-1040, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays.

■ TTY/​TDD (for hearing impairments): 800-829-4059.

■ VITA and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) Hotline: 211 or 311 or VITA, 800-906-9887; and TCE, 888-227-7669.

■ IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit: 800-908-4490.

■ Business tax assistance: 800-829-4933.

■ Taxpayer Advocate Service: 877-777-4778.

IRS forms, publications

Some libraries may get a limited number of packets. Call ahead to inquire.

Forms may be printed online at home or at a library at Forms can be ordered at 800-829-3676.

Call for help

The IRS Web site has links to a variety of topics and YouTube video tax tips and audio podcasts.

You can also call 800-829-1040 for individuals and 800-829-4059 (TDD) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2018 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…