Whether you’re grilling a standard beef burger, a bison patty, a chicken breast, or even a humble portobello mushroom cap, it’s time to move beyond the basic toppings of ketchup and a slice of cheese. Here are eight fresh ways to dress them:
● The Figgy Piggy Blue: Fig jam, crumbled blue cheese, and prosciutto or serrano ham
● The Eggplant Parm: Sliced fresh mozzarella, sliced grilled eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed)
● The Back Woods: Cranberry sauce, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, applewood smoked bacon, and coarse grain brown mustard
● The Thai: Sliced avocado, spicy peanut sauce (2 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, splash of hot sauce), sliced red onion, fresh cilantro
● The New Yorker: Pastrami, caramelized onions, horseradish sauce, Swiss cheese.
● The Mediterranean: Sliced roasted red peppers, olive tapenade, feta cheese, and fresh basil.
● The Indian: Naan (in place of a bun), potato chips sprinkled with curry powder, baby spinach.
● Heuvos Rancheros: Fried egg (with a runny yolk), salsa, Monterey Jack cheese, and crisped bacon or chorizo.
● The Caesar: Toasted garlic bread (in place of a bun), chopped romaine lettuce tossed with Caesar dressing, shaved Parmesan cheese, and anchovies (if you dare)
● The Dragon: Sriracha sauce, pickled jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, pepperoni, freshly ground Sichuan peppercorns
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.