Karen Helton, who submitted this recipe, admits that it does not sound as if it is good for you. “But,” she writes, “it is full of healthful vegetables and makes four servings with only a half pound of sausage.” In addition, as its name indicates, it can be made quickly, and is therefore suitable for a weeknight supper.
Quick Italian Sausage Supper
- ½ pound dry pasta such as mini penne, capelletti, or other interesting variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound lean bulk Italian sausage or link sausage with casings removed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 large Swiss chard leaves, chopped (stems removed)
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- Handful of Italian herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, or a combination), chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, optional
Put a large pot of salted water on high until it boils. Add pasta and cook al dente, according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and add sausage. Cook until brown. Add garlic, onion, and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add chard and tomatoes, lower heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes more. Add beans, herbs, drained pasta, cheese, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, if using. Mix well. Heat 5 minutes. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese and pepper, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
— Karen Helton
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.