Not all families and friends who get together Thursday to share a Thanksgiving Day meal will meet at a loved one’s home. They’ll gather to dine, all right, but it will be at one of a number of restaurants open to accommodate small and large groups looking to feast on the traditional fare.
Art Weeber, owner of the Hathaway House and the Main Street Stable and Tavern in Blissfield, Mich., said his restaurants have been open Thanksgiving Day for decades.
“We’ve been open on Thanksgiving Day for 50 years,” he said. “Both restaurants have been open; it’s a tradition, and we’re always filled up to capacity.”
It’s not only single people or out-of-towners who have no place else to go who are looking for a good holiday meal. “It’s diverse and not one particular group of people,” Mr. Weeber added.
Larry Moore at The Forks in Pemberville, Ohio, said the restaurant he owns with his wife, Carol, also is known for being open on this holiday.
“It’s kind of a tradition down in this neck of the woods. We bought the restaurant 13 years ago, and [the previous owners] had done it for years,” he said. The restaurant is named for the fork in the Portage River, just 500 feet away.
Cousino’s Steakhouse in Oregon opened last year for the first time on this holiday, and it’s apparently turning out to be a hit among diners.
“Right now we have 281 people who have reservations with us on Thanksgiving Day,” manager Katie Socie said Monday. Some guests are out-of-towners, “We have some parties with over 30 people, and to accommodate that many in a home, that’s quite a few people.”
And while the ability to accommodate that many would pose a challenge for many homeowners, there’s another reason families make the decision to go out on Thanksgiving Day.
“It’s easy cleanup. They don’t have to do any of the work,” Ms. Socie added.
Restaurants that will be open Thursday include:
● Valleywood Golf Club, 13501 Airport Hwy., near Swanton. Noon-4 p.m. 419-826-3991.
● Hathaway House, 424 W. Adrian St., Blissfield, Mich. Noon-7 p.m. Reservations: 517-486-2144.
● Main Street Stable and Tavern, 116 N. Main St., Blissfield. 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Buffet for $24.95 (adults), $11.95 (5-12 years old), and free to children under 5. Reservations: 517-486-2144.
● Bob Evans Restaurants, multiple locations. 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
● J. Patrick’s, Holiday Inn French Quarter, 10630 Fremont Pike, Perrysburg. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. (last seating). Buffet for $23.99 (adults), $19.99 (seniors), $11.99 (ages 4-12), and free for children 3 and under. 419-874-3111.
● Epic Buffet, Hollywood Casino, 1968 Miami St., 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Buffet for $24.99.
● Cousino’s Steakhouse, 1842 Woodville Rd., Oregon, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (last seating). Regular menu or buffet. For reservations: 419-693-0862.
● 1812 Food & Spirits, Island House Hotel, 102 Madison St., Port Clinton. 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Family-style meal for $22.50 (adults), $11.25 (10 and under). Advance reservations required: 419-960-7546.
● Cracker Barrel restaurants, multiple locations. 6 a.m.-10 p.m. They also offer a preordered bulk Thanksgiving meal to go.
● Water’s Edge, Maumee Bay State Park, 1750 State Park Rd., Oregon. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Buffet, $26.95 (adults), $21.95 (seniors). Dinner served from 5-8 p.m. 419-836-1466.
● The Forks, 216 E. Front St., Pemberville, Ohio. Buffet $12.99 (adults), $5.99 (children 6-11), and free for children under 6. 419-287-3239.
● Claddagh, Franklin Park Mall, 5001 Monroe St. 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Buffet $24.95 (adults), $10.95 (children 4-10), and free for children under 4. Reservations highly recommended at 419-472-1414.
Contact Rose Russell at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-724-6178.