Who has the hottest hand in senior golf? Either nobody or everybody, it seems. The Champions Tour has had 16 events thus far in 2003 and there have been 16 different winners. Still, Blade golf writer Dave Hackenberg was up to the task of picking a baker's dozen of dandies for the U.S. Senior Open that begins this morning at Inverness:
1. Tom Watson 3-1 Sentimental pick, but maybe the most logical, as well.
2. Tom Kite 5-1 Has the complete package and focus to conquer tough Inverness.
3. Bobby Wadkins 8-1 Lately, he's all over leaderboards at senior majors.
4. Bruce Lietzke 10-1 Nobody in senior golf hits more greens in regulation.
5. Bob Gilder 12-1 Darkhorse pick? Nah, not with his sweet putting touch.
6. Larry Nelson 14-1 His Champions Tour scoring average (69.35) best in field.
7. Craig Stadler 20-1 Only ex-Inverness champ going to the starting gate.
8. Doug Tewell 24-1 An accurate player off the tee who is coming off a victory.
9. Gil Morgan 27-1 Optometrist will have his eye on a major prize.
10. Allen Doyle 30-1 Like Jim Furyk, has the swing to win an Open.
11. Jack Nicklaus 33-1 Watson loves Jack's chances with four pain-free days.
12. John Jacobs 40-1 Inverness negates his length, but not his confidence.
13. Fuzzy Zoeller 45-1 Has to convince himself that his game, course match up.