NewsUSA) - It's nearly springtime. The birds are chirping; the flowers are blooming; the dust is collecting.
If you'd rather be out flying kites, follow these tips from the experts at Merry Maids to make spring cleaning a breeze.
* Develop a task list. Prioritize the list and tackle the most difficult jobs first. Your sense of accomplishment will empower you to finish off the rest more quickly and easily.
* Be methodical. Work from the top of a room down. Dust fan blades, cornices and tops of taller furniture first and vacuum last. Carry everything you need with you in a cleaner's apron or bucket.
* Use effective tools. Having the right tools cuts down on cleaning time immensely. If you don't have those fancy cleaning tools that you see on infomercials, get creative and improvise. Use a paintbrush for hard-to-reach crevices or put a dryer sheet on the end of a broom to clean ceilings and the tops of furniture.
* Clean your cleaners. They collect the most dirt, and if you're not cleaning them regularly, you're spreading around more dust, dirt and bacteria. Change HVAC and vacuum filters and clean sponges, mops, brooms and vacuum extensions.
* Hire a certified professional. Hire a cleaning service for those tougher tasks that require a specialist or if you'd rather not do it yourself this year.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.