(ARA) - As many as 17 million household moves take place each year in the U.S.
If you are among the do-it-yourselfers, Penske Truck Rental offers a few tips to get you started:
* Truck Selection. Most movers find the 12- or 16-foot truck perfect for moving a few large items or the contents of a small condo or apartment.
* Reserve Early. Penske suggests reserving your truck at least two weeks in advance
* Pack Smart. Load the heaviest items on the truck first. Avoid injury when lifting, by always bending your knees and lifting with your legs.
* Use Accessories. Boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, moving blankets, and hand trucks are all essential moving tools that help protect your items during your move, making your experience more enjoyable.
* Mark Your Boxes. Label the outside of your boxes as you pack. It makes it easy to put the boxes in the right room when you unload at your final destination.
* Safety & Security. Trucks are taller, wider, heavier, and require more stopping distance than the vehicle you are used to driving. To ensure a smooth moving day, pick up your truck a day early and practice driving it. Take extra precautions, especially when the truck is loaded. Use caution near low hanging tree branches, building overhangs and when cornering. Park in well-lit areas and padlock the rear door.
Finally, with most family belongings packed tightly away, create a travel bag for moving day to keep important paperwork, credit cards, identification, change of clothes, drinks and snacks close at hand. Courtesy of ARAcontent
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.