Loading…
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsNation
Published: 11/11/2013

Charges filed in connection with man electrocuted at Houston hotel pool when lights came on

ASSOCIATED PRESS

HOUSTON — Charges have been filed in connection with the death of a man who was electrocuted at a hotel pool in Houston when the pool lights switched on at dusk.

Houston police filed criminally negligent homicide charges against electricians who did work at the pool. A police statement said the repair work was done in a “substandard fashion,” leading to a pool light short that electrocuted Raul Hernandez, 27, on Aug. 31.

Hernandez and his family were swimming at the Hilton Houston Westchase when the pool lights came on and those in the pool began to complain of being shocked.

Hernandez swam to the deep end of the pool to help his younger brother, who survived, according to a civil lawsuit filed in the case. Hernandez needed help from bystanders to get out and went into cardiac arrest. He died at a Houston hospital on Sept. 6.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories