THE VILLAGES, Fla. — A sinkhole between two houses in a sprawling Florida retirement community that was plugged over the weekend appears to be opening again.
A witness said today that the sinkhole in The Villages expanded overnight by another 5 to 8 feet. Safety crews are on scene.
Rich Corr lives next door to the house which had been at the center of the sinkhole drama. He told The Villages Daily Sun that he and his wife are packing their bags.
Over the weekend, repair crews filled the sinkhole after neighbors noticed it was growing and alerted authorities. At that time, a Tampa firm had been working on the sinkhole for about three weeks.
District Public Safety Battalion Chief Pete Carpenter said Saturday the sinkhole expanded under the foundations of both houses.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.