Loading…
Friday, August 29, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsState
Published: Tuesday, 3/13/2012

9-year-old Ohio boy shocked twice by police officer as he lay on ground over his hands

BLADE NEWS SERVICES

MOUNT STERLING, Ohio — An Ohio officer whose use of a stun gun on a child resulted in the shutdown of a village police force said he shocked the boy twice as the 9-year-old lay on the floor with his hands underneath his body.

The Columbus Dispatch reports details of the Mount Sterling incident released Monday say the boy was warned before an officer shocked him at his home last week following a truancy complaint.

The officer said the child begged his mother to let him go to school instead of with the officer, but she refused, telling him it was too late. The officer said he eventually tried to pull the boy, who he described as at least 5-foot-5 and 200 pounds, from a couch when the boy dropped and "became dead weight ... flailing around."

He says he fired a warning shock with the stun gun and that the child's mother warned the boy to obey the officer or he'd be shocked.

The officer described the boy as at least 5-foot-5 and 200 pounds.

Tracy Comisford, an attorney for the boy's mother tells The Dispatch the woman did not expect the officer to use a stun gun when he came to arrest the boy.

"She certainly never wanted this to happen," Comisford said.

The police report says the boy was shocked twice because he did not comply with the officer after the first stunning. His mother signed a waiver of medical treatment, and the boy was taken to the Madison County Sheriff's Office.

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is looking into the matter.

Also on Monday, police Chief Mike McCoy resigned, saying the village can no longer financially support the department. He'd been suspended Thursday for not immediately reporting the stun gun matter to the mayor, and the force of part-time officers has been disbanded. The sheriff's office is patrolling the village.

A telephone message seeking additional information was left Tuesday at the mayor's office.

McCoy tells The Dispatch he does not feel it was wrong to delay telling the mayor about the stun gun incident because he thought he should first look further into it himself.

"I did what I was supposed to do to maintain the integrity of the incident," McCoy said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories







Poll