Loading…
Friday, September 19, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Tuesday, 8/6/2013

US Consulate in Milan evacuated after bomb threat

Police evacuate US Consulate in Milan after bomb threat, apparently from Italian anarchists

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ROME — Anti-terrorism police in Milan say the city’s U.S. Consulate has been evacuated after receiving a letter containing a bomb threat.

An officer said the letter carried a symbol frequently used by Italian anarchists in the past.

The officer said police were inspecting the building after staff members were evacuated early this evening, and that no members of the public appeared to be there at the time. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with police regulations.

Italian news reports said several Italian radio stations have offices in the same building and also were evacuated. The reports said a subway stop nearby was briefly closed as a precaution, then reopened.

Police denied Italian news reports that suspicious luggage also had been found at the consulate.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories