Loading…
Friday, July 11, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Tuesday, 8/20/2013 - Updated: 10 months ago

9/11 defendant: US withholds food at Guantanamo

ASSOCIATED PRESS

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — A defendant in the Sept. 11 case says Guantanamo Bay guards have been withholding food when he’s in court or meeting with his lawyer.

Ramzi bin al Shibh made the allegation in a pretrial hearing in the Sept. 11 war crimes case. He told the military judge guards deprive him of food as a form of “psychological torture.” Military officials deny the allegation. The judge, Army Col. James Pohl, allowed bin al Shibh to leave court and return to his cell for the day. The four other defendants had earlier chosen not to attend today’s session.

Bin al Shibh’s complaints came during lengthy arguments over the rules for handling classified evidence that must be established before the defense can prepare for a trial likely more than a year away.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories