Loading…
Friday, August 01, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Wednesday, 8/21/2013 - Updated: 11 months ago

Russia questions claims on Syria toxic gas attack

ASSOCIATED PRESS

MOSCOW — The Russian Foreign Ministry says the accusations that the Syrian government carried out a toxic gas attack seem aimed at undermining efforts to convene an international peace conference.

Syrian anti-government activists blame President Bashar Assad’s regime for the attack that killed at least 100 people.

But Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich issued a statement today saying that the accusations appear to be an effort to “create a pretext at any cost for demanding that the U.N. Security Council stand on the side of the opponents of the regime, and in this way undermine the chances of convening the Geneva conference.”

He says Russia’s information indicated that the rocket had been launched from positions in a Damascus suburb occupied by opposition forces. He calls for an “objective and professional” investigation.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories