KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide car bomber attacked a convoy of international troops in an eastern district of the Afghan capital Kabul today, killing three service members and wounding six Afghans, officials said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the insurgent group was behind the attack. Television images showed remains of the exploded car in the street, and several armored vehicles stopped nearby.
The bomber struck the convoy about a kilometer (half mile) from NATO’s Camp Phoenix base, Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanakzai, who reported the Afghan injuries.
The International Security Assistance Force didn’t provide details on the identities or nationalities of the three service members killed.
Twelve coalition troops have died in Afghanistan so far this month including six U.S. soldiers who died in a helicopter crash Dec. 17.
So far this year 151 coalition troops have been killed in Afghanistan, according to a tally kept by The Associated Press.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.