SEOUL, South Korea — Three weeks after South Korea’s ferry tragedy, the government says it miscounted the number of survivors, a stunning error and the latest of many missteps that have eroded the nation’s confidence in its leaders.
Coast guard chief Kim Suk-kyoon said today that only 172 people survived the April 16 sinking of the ferry Sewol — not 174, as the government had been saying since April 18.
Kim also said there are two more missing passengers than authorities previously knew about. Both are Chinese nationals.
That change raises the number of people feared dead to 304. So far 269 bodies have been recovered, and divers are searching for 35 more people. More than 80 percent of the dead are students from a single high school near Seoul.