Catholic faithful take Holy Communion and pray for the safety of the kidnapped Chibok school girls during a morning Mass in honor of the girls in Abuja, Nigeria.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Enlarge
BAUCHI, Nigeria — One of the teenagers who escaped from Islamic extremists who abducted more than 300 schoolgirls says the kidnapping was “too terrifying for words,” and she is scared to go back to school.
Sarah Lawan, a 19-year-old science student, spoke Sunday as Nigerians prayed for the safety of the 276 students still held captive.
Their prayers were joined by Pope Francis.
“Let us all join in prayer for the immediate release of the schoolgirls kidnapped in Nigeria,” the Roman Catholic leader tweeted.
Ms. Lawan said more of the girls could have escaped but that they were frightened by their captors’ threats to shoot them.
She spoke in the local Hausa language in a phone interview from Chibok, her home and the site of the mass abduction.
Police say 53 students have escaped. The failure to rescue those who remain captive four weeks later has attracted national and international outrage.
Last week, Nigeria accepted international help in the search after ignoring offers for weeks.
More experts are expected to help rescue the girls, including U.S. hostage negotiators and others from Britain, France, China, and Spain.
“I am pained that my other colleagues could not summon the courage to run away with me,” Ms. Lawan said. “Now I cry each time I come across their parents and see how they weep when they see me.”
Nigeria’s homegrown Boko Haram terrorist network is threatening to sell those who remain in captivity into slavery.
In churches across Nigeria, people prayed for the girls, whose plight has brought together ordinary people despite growing dissension between Muslims and Christians.
Africa’s most populous nation of 170 million has almost equal numbers of Christians and Muslims.
The Rev. Stephen Omale prayed at a church in Abuja, the Nigerian capital.
“Wherever they are, God will bring them out in his own mercy, he will see that they are brought out safely, without harm and also that this act will bring an end to all those who are perpetrating these acts,” he told congregants.
U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel cautioned that it is “going to be very difficult” to find the girls. In an interview with ABC’s This Week that aired Sunday, he said “It’s a vast country ... But we’re going to bring to bear every asset we can possibly use to help the Nigerian government.”
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.