LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles company is recalling more than 375,000 pounds of ground beef products that were shipped to restaurants in California and Nevada due to possible E. coli contamination.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said Tuesday that routine monitoring confirmed a positive test for E. coli in the meat from Commercial Meat Co.
No illness has been reported so far.
All cases of ground beef products bearing the number "EST.4873" inside the USDA mark of inspection are being recalled. The possibly contaminated beef was produced between Sept. 7 and Oct. 6.
E. coli is a bacterium that's potentially deadly, especially for young children, seniors and people with weak immune systems. It can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration and, in severe cases, kidney failure.
The following recalls also have been announced:
POOL PUMP MOTORS
DETAILS: Ecotech EZ Variable Speed pool pump motors manufactured by Nidec Motor Corporation, of St. Louis, Mo. and Emerson Motor Company, a division of Emerson Electric Co., of St. Louis, Mo. The motors were sold at pool motor distributors, pool dealers and pump manufacturers nationwide from September 2010 through August 2011.
WHY: The pump cover is not properly grounded — posing an electrical shock hazard.
INCIDENTS: None reported.
HOW MANY: About 2,000.
FOR MORE: Contact Nidec Motor Corporation at 866-278-6920 or visit the firm's website at www.nidec-motor.com.
DETAILS: B.O.B. single and double-seated strollers imported by B.O.B. Trailers Inc., of Boise, Idaho; sold at REI, Babies R' Us, other retail stores nationwide and Amazon.com between November 1998 and October 2011. The strollers have The BOB, Ironman or Stroller Strides brand name embroidered on the canopy. They were manufactured in Taiwan and China.
WHY: The stroller canopy's embroidered logo's backing patch can detach, posing a choking hazard.
INCIDENTS: The firm has received six reports of children putting their mouths on the detached patch. Gagging and choking were reported in two incidents. No injuries were reported.
HOW MANY: About 411,700 in the United States and 27,000 in Canada (357,000 units were recalled in February 2011 due to strangulation hazard posed by canopy drawstrings).
FOR MORE: Contact B.O.B. Trailers 855-242-2245 by cellphone Monday through Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. EDT, or visit the firm's website at www.bobnotices.com.
POURABLE GEL FUEL
DETAILS: Marshall Gardens PatioGlo Bio-Fuel Gel manufactured by Marshall Group, of Elkhart, Ind.; sold at gift shops, home and garden stores, and online stores nationwide from November 2010 to August 2011. The pourable gel fuels packaged in 32 oz. clear plastic bottles are labeled "PatioGlo bio-fuel gel" or "Citronella PatioGlo." The fuel is poured into a metal cup in the center of ceramic firepots or other decorative lighting devices and ignited. The pourable gel fuels were manufactured in the United States.
WHY: The pourable gel fuel can ignite unexpectedly and expel onto people and objects nearby when it is poured into a firepot that is still burning, posing fire and burn hazards. This can occur if the consumer does not see the flame or is not aware that the firepot is still ignited.
INCIDENTS: The Marshall Group has received four reports of incidents, resulting in three injuries with burns requiring hospitalization.
HOW MANY: About 39,000 bottles.
FOR MORE: Contact the Marshall Group at 855-270-8482 by cellphone Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EDT, visit the company's website at www.marshallgroupcorp.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.