The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. You will be advised which trouble spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Road work in East Toledo, downtown, and western Lucas County should affect motorists this week.
Construction of the I-280 bridge will again cause tie-ups, with westbound traffic on Front Street limited to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Also, beginning today soutbound and northbound I-280 will be reduced to one lane between Seaman Road and Summit Street.
Downtown, continuing work on brick crosswalks along Washington Street will restrict traffic on St. Clair and Huron streets, starting today. The crosswalk at Superior also will be worked on.
In Springfield and Spencer townships, work on Crissey Road, between Bancroft and Dorr streets, will cause lane closures starting tomorrow. The work is scheduled to be done next week.
In Sylvania Township, reconstruction of Moffat Drive will force the closure of the road to through-traffic from Central Avenue to about 3,000 feet south of Central. The work will begin Monday and is expected to be finished Oct. 25.
You can e-mail the Road Warrior at email@example.com.
1. I-280: Reconstruction of I-280/I-75 interchange ramps closes the Manhattan Boulevard entrance to southbound I-280. At Greenbelt Parkway, the southbound entrance is closed until Monday. Beginning today, soutbound and northbound I-280 will be reduced to one lane between Seaman and Summit streets.
In East Toledo, the southbound exit and northbound entrance at State Rt. 2 (Navarre Avenue) are closed until early November. Southbound traffic is detoured to the Walbridge interchange. Northbound traffic may enter I-280 by using Earlwood Avenue to the Starr Avenue entrance.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway)/I-475: Bridge reconstruction and road widening reduces traffic on Route 2 to one lane in each direction between the freeway and Fairborne Drive, west of Holloway Road. Use Garden Road or Angola Road to avoid delays.
3. U.S. 20/State Rt. 25 (Maumee-Perrysburg Bridge): The bridge is closed until Nov. 1 while approaches are built connecting the new bridge to the roadway at either end. Detour via State Rt. 25, I-475/U.S. 23, and U.S. 24. Through-traffic to or from U.S. 20 east of Perrysburg should detour via the I-75 interchange.
4. Ohio Turnpike/I-280: Widening construction in the median at the I-280 interchange in Wood County requires a traffic shift, 50-mph speed limit, and lane closings on the turnpike during off-peak hours. The left lanes of I-280 are closed in both directions at the turnpike through Tuesday.
Bridge painting will cause the closure of certain lanes of northbound and southbound I-280 at the Ohio Turnpike overpass through Tuesday.
5. State Rt. 2: Pavement repairs will reduce Route 2 to one lane, during daylight hours, at its intersections with Wheeling Street and Coy, Lallendorf, and North Curtice roads through Nov. 1.
6. State Rt. 25 (Anthony Wayne Trail): Resurfacing and curb work require limited daytime lane closings and one-lane or two-lane closings at night between Collingwood Boulevard and the Toledo-Maumee line. Major work is scheduled to end next week.
7. State Rt. 246 (Dorr Street): Street reconstruction and widening restrict Dorr to one lane each way between Douglas and Secor roads. Nighttime lane closings will be required on Douglas/Westwood Avenue at Dorr.
8. Seaman Road: Bridge construction at the Norfolk Southern railroad closes the road between Lallendorf and Wynn roads until the spring. Detour via Starr Avenue. Sewer construction closes Seaman to through-traffic between Wynn and Norden Roads until March 28. Detour via Corduroy Road.
9. State Rt. 51 (Monroe Street), St. Clair Street: Pavement, sidewalk, and waterline work restricts traffic to one lane each way between 17th Street and Collingwood.
10. State Rt. 65: Resurfacing closes the route to through-traffic between State Rt. 18 and U.S. 6. Use State Rt. 109.
11. I-475/U.S. 23: Resurfacing requires nightly lane closings on I-475 between U.S. 24 and Holland-Sylvania Road, and on U.S. 23 north of I-475 to the Ohio-Michigan line. Expect delays during the work hours of 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
12. State Rt. 295: Resurfacing requires flag zones between U.S. 20A and U.S. 24. Turn-lane construction at U.S. 24 closes Route 295 at that intersection through Oct. 31. Detour via State Rt. 64.
13. East Broadway: Waterline work and pavement reconstruction closes the street between Woodville Road and Varland Avenue until Nov. 13. Detour via Varland and Woodville. Trucks have a longer detour route posted.
14. State Rt. 64: Resurfacing requires daytime flag zones between Bowling Green and Haskins through Oct. 31.
15. I-75: Pavement work will cause daytime lane closures on the interstate next week. Beginning Tuesday, northbound I-75 will be reduced by one lane between Dorr Street and Central Avenue between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. On Wednesday, the work will shift to one lane of southbound I-75 in the same area.
16. Moffat Drive: Reconstruction of Moffat will force the closure of the road to through traffic from Central Avenue to about 3,000 feet south of Central. The work will begin Monday and is expected to be finished Oct. 25.
17. Washington Street/downtown: Work on the intersection at Washington and Huron streets begins today, with work at Washington and Superior and St. Clair intersections starting next week. Huron and St. Clair streets will be closed between Washington and Monroe beginning this morning. Huron is expected to reopen Tuesday, and St. Clair on Thursday.
18. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Road): Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way between Telegraph Road and Raintree Parkway.
19. State Rt. 295: A culvert replacement closes the route between U.S. 20 and Route 2 until mid-November. Detour via State Rt. 64.
20. State Rt. 65: Intersection work at Brillhart Road closes the route until Oct. 31. Through-traffic is detoured via State Rt. 64, U.S. 24, and State Rt. 578.
21. Front Street: Work related to the I-280 bridge construction will cause westbound traffic to be reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and the I-280 interchange through Nov. 6.
22. Crissey Road: Preparing and resurfacing Crissey between Bancroft and Dorr streets will cause lane closures starting tomorrow. The work is scheduled to be finished next week.
23. State Rt. 295 at U.S. 24: Installation of a right-turn lane from westbound U.S. 24 to northbound Route 295 will close the intersection through Oct. 25.
I-75: Median wall cleaning will close the southbound left lane through Lima, Ohio, on Tuesday, and the northbound left lane on Wednesday. In Detroit, construction restricts traffic to two lanes southbound at Springwells Avenue and northbound at Outer Drive.
U.S. 20: A culvert replacement in Clyde, Ohio, restricts traffic to one lane each way.
U.S. 23: Widening on the north side of Fostoria closes the route to southbound traffic at Jones Road. A detour is posted.
U.S. 24: Resurfacing between U.S. 6 and the Henry-Defiance county line, requiring daily flag zones.
In Flat Rock, Mich., bridge reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way at the Huron River. Turns are restricted at the Will Carleton Road intersection.
U.S. 30: Resurfacing requires flag zones between State Rt. 235 and U.S. 68 in Hancock County and between the Hancock-Wyandot county line and the Upper Sandusky Bypass. Delays are likely.
U.S. 223: Pavement patching will close one lane in each direction through Blissfield until Oct. 31.
U.S. 250: Two-way traffic is maintained during widening between the Ohio Turnpike and State Rt. 2 in Erie County, but delays are possible.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.