The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which locations to avoid and what detours to take.
A truck accident early this week at the I-75/I-94 junction on Detroit's east side is causing a big headache for motorists who use I-75 to reach eastbound I-94 there.
A gasoline tanker hit a wall on the ramp from northbound I-75 to eastbound I-94, climbed the barrier, and dropped its trailer over the side early Monday. The resulting explosion and fire warped structural beams in that ramp and the connecting ramp from southbound I-75. The truck driver was killed.
Motorists headed to Detroit's eastern suburbs or the Port Huron, Mich., border crossing should use alternate routes to reach I-94. Options include Southfield Road, I-96, or M-10. The I-75/I-94 ramps are closed indefinitely.
Through-traffic on I-75 to such destinations as the Somerset Collection mall in Troy or The Palace of Auburn Hills will not be affected, MDOT spokesman Rob Morosi said.
Wrap-up work on repainting the Central Avenue bridge over I-75 will require more lane and ramp closings on the freeway, starting tonight. Work hours will be 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night.
Tonight: The northbound I-75 exit to Jeep and Willys parkways will be closed.
Tomorrow: The eastbound I-475 ramps to Jeep/Willys and to northbound I-75 will be closed.
Sunday: The southbound I-75 ramp to westbound I-475 and the North Cove Boulevard/Jeep Parkway entrance to westbound I-475 will be closed.
Monday: The North Cove/Jeep entrance to southbound I-75 will be closed.
Lane closings are expected to continue through the week.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. E-mail him at email@example.com.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires intermittent traffic stops north of Navarre Avenue, along with occasional nighttime and weekend lane closings. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area.
The northbound exit at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway is closed until August, 2005. The southbound entrance at the parkway is closed until mid-November. At Summit Street, only the northbound exit and southbound entrance from southbound Summit remain open. At Navarre, traffic entering northbound I-280 is detoured to the Starr Avenue entrance.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway), I-475: A second lane in each direction will be open by Monday as road reconstruction nears completion between I-475 and Holloway Road.
3. U.S. 24: Reconstruction and resurfacing require lane closings on Detroit between Dorr Street and Woodruff Avenue, and on Fearing Boulevard between Airport Highway and Buckingham Street.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between State Rt. 579 and the Toledo-Oregon line. Delays are likely.
5. State Rt. 199: Culvert replacement will close the route south of State Rt. 582 starting Tuesday. Detour via Route 582, I-75, and State Rt. 105. Completion is scheduled for Oct. 31.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road-widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25. Local access is provided eastbound only.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Daytime delays are likely.
8. State Rt. 25: Bridge reconstruction south of Portage cuts traffic to one lane each way.
9. I-75: Joint and deck repairs require varying nighttime lane closings on the DiSalle Bridge through Oct. 17. Certain repairs may require two-lane closings, resulting in extensive traffic delays. Work hours are 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one lane at times between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. Holland-Sylvania Road: Railroad crossing repairs close the road to through-traffic between Airport Highway and Angola Road for five days, starting Monday. Detour via Airport, McCord Road, and Angola.
12. Miami/First streets: Reconstruction closes this route between Navarre Avenue and Oak Street starting this morning. Two-way traffic has been restored south of Navarre.
13. State Rt. 120 (Central Avenue): Expansion joint repairs close the bridge over I-75 between North Cove Boulevard and Jeep Parkway, with detours posted. A waterline project causes eastbound lane restrictions between Midwood and Upton avenues.
14. I-75: In-pavement reflector installation requires single-lane zones between Bowling Green and Cygnet from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. tomorrow. Delays are likely. Rumble-strip cutting along the shoulders will require overnight lane closings next week.
15. State Rt. 163: Road realignment closes the route between the Ottawa-Wood county line and Genoa through next week and possibly until Oct. 24. Detour via State Rt. 51 and I-280.
OFF THE MAP
I-75 (Michigan): Concrete pavement repair work requires lane and ramp closings in Monroe County, and varying daytime lane closings occur between Northline Road and the River Rouge bridge in metro Detroit.
I-75 (Ohio), State Rt. 18: Interchange reconstruction requires lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. The State Rt. 18 entrance to northbound I-75 is closed until Wednesday.
U.S. 20A/State Rt. 2: Resurfacing requires daytime flag zones between the east side of Delta and the State Rt. 109 junction west of town.
U.S. 24 (Ohio): Repairs and resurfacing require varying flag zones between the Ohio-Indiana line and Defiance, while landscaping may require flag zones east of State Rt. 424 in Defiance. Delays are likely.
State Rt. 53: Sewer construction on the north side of Tiffin closes the road through Oct. 24.