The Blade s Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which locations to avoid and what detours to take.
New lane configurations will be instituted next week at Salisbury Road and Briarfield Boulevard in Monclova Township following installation of a new traffic signal, the Lucas County engineer s office announced.
Eastbound Salisbury will have one through-lane and two left-turn lanes, instead of the current two through-lanes and single left-turn lane. Signs have been posted to alert motorists to the new signal and other changes, but there is a chance that drivers unfamiliar with the changes will make unexpected turns during the first few weeks.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires intermittent traffic stops north of Navarre Avenue, along with occasional nighttime and weekend lane closings. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area.
The northbound exit and southbound entrance at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway are closed until August, 2005. At Summit Street, only the northbound exit and southbound entrance from southbound Summit remain open. At Navarre, traffic entering northbound I-280 is detoured to the Starr Avenue entrance.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Final traffic signal work associated with the Spring Meadows widening project will be done this weekend, with all lanes expected to be open by Monday.
3. U.S. 24: Reconstruction and resurfacing require lane closings on Detroit between Dorr Street and Woodruff Avenue.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between State Rt. 579 and the Toledo-Oregon line through Nov. 21. Delays are likely.
5. I-75: Lighting maintenance may require left-lane closings from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. between the I-475 junction near Perrysburg and the DiSalle Bridge through Nov. 28. Delays are unlikely.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road-widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25. Local access is provided eastbound only.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Daytime delays are likely.
8. Laskey Road: Street reconstruction restricts traffic to eastbound only west of Secor Road. Use Monroe Street and Secor Road or Alexis Road as alternatives. The southbound right lane is closed on Secor at Laskey, causing rush-hour delays.
9. Miami, First streets: Reconstruction closes this route between Navarre Avenue and Oak Street. Detour via Oak and Fassett streets.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one lane at times between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. I-475/U.S. 23: Lighting maintenance may require left lane closings from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. between the U.S. 23/I-475 split in Sylvania and I-75 near Perrysburg through Nov. 28. Minor delays are possible.
12. U.S. 20A: A culvert replacement closes Maumee-Western Road between Albon and Crissey roads in Monclova Township through Monday. A posted detour follows Briarfield Boulevard, Salisbury Road, I-475/U.S. 23, and State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway). Passenger vehicles may use Salisbury or Monclova Road instead.
OFF THE MAP
I-75 (Ohio), State Rt. 18: Interchange reconstruction requires I-75 lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Delays are possible on Route 18 as well.
State Rt. 105: Embankment repairs close the route east of Elmore through Nov. 21. Detour via State Rts. 51, 163, and 590.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.