The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Local motorists face two substantial detours during the coming days. The second in a series of weekend closings on northbound I-280 is explained in Item 1. Also, starting Monday, repair work will require a complete closing of the Anthony Wayne Bridge on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Rusted metal in the bridge's suspension towers will be removed using large cranes during those hours. The work is expected to take five working days, so it could be completed by the end of next week if Toledo has no high winds or heavy rain during the week.
Joe Rutherford, an Ohio Department of Transportation spokesman, said the rust needs to be removed immediately, because if it remains where it is much longer, metal could break loose and fall onto traffic. Removal of the metal will not cause structural weakness in the towers, he said, and permanent repairs will be made later.
Traffic will be detoured via the I-75 DiSalle Bridge, using Oak, Fassett, and Miami streets in East Toledo, and Summit and Washington streets in downtown Toledo. Congestion is likely in the area during the detours.
The city of Toledo, meanwhile, sprang a surprise lane closing this week on the southbound left lane of the Anthony Wayne Trail right at the merge point from the southbound I-75 exit ramp. While the concrete bridge deck repairs involved appeared to be near completion yesterday afternoon, motorists should be alert to the possibility of other lane closings on the Trail between I-75 and City Park Avenue during the next few weeks.
1. I-280: The northbound lanes will be closed between Navarre Avenue and I-75, except for the Craig Memorial Bridge, from 6 a.m. tomorrow until 6 p.m. Sunday for overhead bridge construction and pavement repairs. Northbound I-280 will also be closed at Navarre from 7 p.m. Monday until 6 a.m. Tuesday, but will be open north of Front Street. Through traffic will be detoured via State Rt. 795 and I-75.
Otherwise, bridge construction causes occasional daytime traffic stops up to 10 minutes in either direction between the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway and Starr Avenue. A 35-mph speed limit is posted.
The following ramps are temporarily closed: Manhattan Boulevard to southbound I-280, the Greenbelt to southbound I-280, and northbound I-280 to the Greenbelt. Manhattan is reduced to one lane each way at I-280, and southbound Front Street is one lane at I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. I-475: Bridge work requires nighttime lane closings at Holland-Sylvania Road (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.), and Holland-Sylvania is reduced to one lane in each direction.
3. King Bridge: Reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane in each direction.
4. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Bridge repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Phillips Avenue and Collingwood Boulevard. Delays are likely.
5. U.S. 20: Bridge and pavement repairs restrict traffic to one lane each way through Woodville. Delays are likely.
6. State Rt. 64: A widening project requires lane closings on East Wooster Street in Bowling Green. Flag zones will be set up at times. Expect traffic delays on Wooster and intersecting streets. Downtown Bowling Green traffic should consider using State Rt. 25 and either U.S. 6 or State Rt. 582 to get to or from I-75.
7. West South Boundary Street: Widening closes the road to through-traffic between State Rts. 25 and 199 until late August. Use Eckel Junction Road instead. Local traffic may be delayed.
8. State Rt. 25: Intersection work at Roachton Road closes the left lane in each direction. Expect delays.
9. Ohio Turnpike: Resurfacing restricts traffic to a single lane in each direction from the Maumee River to a point west of the U.S. 20 (Reynolds Road) interchange. Local traffic should use the Airport Highway interchange for travel to or from the west, and the I-75 interchange for travel to or from the east.
10. Anthony Wayne Bridge: Tower repairs will close the bridge from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. weekdays starting Monday. Repairs may be complete by Friday afternoon, weather permitting.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Crack sealing requires day-to-day lane closings between Bluffton and Beaverdam, Ohio. Work is scheduled for Monday through Thursday, weather permitting.
I-75/State Rt. 18: The Route 18 bridge over I-75 east of North Baltimore is closed for reconstruction until October. Route 18 traffic is detoured via I-75 and State Rt. 613. Lane closings between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. nightly are possible on I-75.
U.S. 6/20: Resurfacing requires lane closings on the Fremont Bypass. Delays are possible.
U.S. 224: A bridge replacement closes the route between Welly Road and Seneca County Road 591 through mid May. Detour via State Rts. 53 and 587.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.