The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you which spots to avoid and what detours you should take.
Several road construction projects start Monday in rural parts of northwest Ohio.
In Fulton County, resurfacing will require flag zones on State Rt. 108 between U.S. 20 and the Michigan line. Delays are likely during work hours.
In Henry County, State Rt. 424 will close at U.S. 6 for bridge deck replacement. Local detours will be posted, and the work is expected to end on June 25.
In Sandusky County, State Rt. 19 will close just south of U.S. 20, between Fremont and Clyde, during intersection work associated with a new traffic signal there. The work is scheduled to continue through May 15. Detour via U.S. 20 and State Rt. 101.
And in Paulding County, railroad crossing work will close State Rt. 49 in Payne through May 14. Starting Tuesday, Route 49 will be closed in Defiance County north of Hicksville for a culvert project. Detours will be posted.
Also on Tuesday, there will be varying lane closings on the State Rt. 2 Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay for concrete sampling. Work hours will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
1. I-280: Maintenance on the Craig Memorial Bridge may require southbound I-280 lane closings between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. on weeknights next week.
Bridge construction otherwise causes occasional daytime traffic stops up to 10 minutes in either direction between the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway and Starr Avenue. A 35-mph speed limit is posted.
The following ramps are temporarily closed: Manhattan Boulevard to southbound I-280, the Greenbelt to southbound I-280, and northbound I-280 to the Greenbelt. Manhattan is reduced to one lane each way at I-280, and southbound Front Street is one lane at I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. I-475: Bridge work requires lane closings at Holland-Sylvania Road between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Holland-Sylvania is reduced to one lane in each direction at I-475. Sign replacements may cause lane closings between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. at other locations on I-475/U.S. 23 Sunday through Thursday nights.
3. King Bridge: Reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane in each direction.
4. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Bridge repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Phillips Avenue and Collingwood Boulevard. Delays are likely.
5. U.S. 20: Bridge and pavement repairs restrict traffic to one lane each way through Woodville. Delays are likely.
6. State Rt. 64: A widening project requires lane closings on East Wooster Street in Bowling Green. Flag zones will be set up at times. Starting Monday and continuing through Friday, the road will be closed at the CSX railroad crossing west of the BGSU campus. Downtown Bowling Green traffic should consider using State Rt. 25 and either U.S. 6 or State Rt. 582 to get to or from I-75.
7. West South Boundary Street: Widening closes the road to through traffic between State Rts. 25 and 199 until late August. Use Eckel Junction Road instead. Local traffic may be delayed.
8. State Rt. 25: Intersection work at Roachton Road closes the left lane of Route 25 in each direction and closes Roachton to westbound traffic east of Route 25. Detour via State Rt. 199 and Eckel Junction. Expect delays on Route 25.
9. Ohio Turnpike: Resurfacing restricts traffic to a single lane in each direction from the Maumee River to a point west of the U.S. 20 (Reynolds Road) interchange. Local traffic should use the Airport Highway interchange for travel to or from the west, and the I-75 interchange for travel to or from the east.
10. Anthony Wayne Trail (State Rt. 25): Bridge deck repairs may close the northbound right lane between the Collingwood Boulevard exit and the ramp to northbound I-75 next week. Be prepared to take an alternate route, such as Broadway or the Collingwood ramp and Erie Street, especially during the morning rush hour.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Pavement inspections and repairs will require lane closings next week between U.S. 68/State Rt. 15 in Findlay and State Rt. 235 near Mount Cory. Delays are possible. Starting Sunday night, nighttime resurfacing will require lane closings from the north side of Lima all the way to the Allen-Auglaize county line. No work will be done on Friday and Saturday nights.
I-75/State Rt. 18: The Route 18 bridge over I-75 east of North Baltimore is closed for reconstruction until October. Route 18 traffic is detoured via I-75 and State Rt. 613. Lane closings between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. nightly are possible on I-75.
U.S. 6/20: Resurfacing requires lane closings on the Fremont bypass. Delays are possible. Starting Monday, the eastbound ramp to northbound State Rt. 19 will be closed for three weeks of reconstruction. Traffic will be detoured to the State Rt. 53 interchange. And for 12 hours starting at 6 p.m. Monday, the westbound ramp to southbound U.S. 6/State Rt. 53 will be closed for paving.
U.S. 23: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between State Rts. 182 and 199, in the Upper Sandusky area.
U.S. 224: A bridge replacement closes the route between Welly Road and Seneca County Road 591 until June 15. Detour via State Rts. 53 and 587.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.