The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
This will be a tough weekend to go north from Toledo on I-75.
Starting at 8 p.m. today, northbound I-75 will narrow to a single lane at the state line for repairs to the right and center lanes in southern Monroe County. The lane closing will remain in effect until 6 a.m. Monday.
Motorists should strongly consider using U.S. 23 and I-94 to go to Detroit. Local traffic may also use Telegraph Road (U.S. 24) or Dixie Highway (M-125), then take Luna Pier Road back to I-75 as an alternate.
The likelihood that the backup will extend south of the Alexis Road interchange in North Toledo also complicates matters for motorists using the posted detour for the closed northbound I-280 ramp to southbound I-75. East side residents should consider using local streets to reach I-75 via the Miami Street ramps this weekend.
Southbound I-75 will not be affected by the Michigan construction. Similar work zones are planned two weeks from now and for the third weekend in September.
1. I-280: Bridge construction at the Maumee River causes occasional daytime traffic stops of up to 10 minutes in either direction between Greenbelt Parkway and Starr Avenue. A 35-mph speed limit is posted.
The closing of the northbound I-280 ramp to southbound I-75 for reconstruction has been extended yet again. It now is scheduled to reopen at 6 a.m. Wednesday. The northbound exit and southbound entrance at Greenbelt both are closed until the bridge opens, now scheduled for late 2006. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. I-475: Bridge work reduces Holland-Sylvania Road to one lane in each direction at I-475. Nighttime lane closings are possible on I-475.
3. I-75: Pavement repairs close the northbound right lane at the Ohio-Michigan border. The center lane will be closed from 8 p.m. today until 6 a.m. Monday. The work zone will advance north as repairs proceed, finishing next month north of the LaPlaisance Road interchange.
4. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue), Phillips Avenue: Bridge repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Phillips and Collingwood through Sept. 17. Bridge reconstruction closes Phillips between I-75 and U.S. 24; use the Stickney-Lagrange or Berdan ramps instead of Phillips.
5. U.S. 20/State Rt. 105: Bridge and pavement repairs restrict U.S. 20 traffic to one lane each way through Woodville. Westbound Route 105 is closed at U.S. 20, and left turns from westbound U.S. 20 to eastbound Route 105 are not allowed. Detour via State Rt. 51.
6. State Rt. 64: Widening requires lane closings and flag zones on East Wooster Street between I-75 and downtown Bowling Green. Flag zones will be set up at times.
7. Erie Street, Monroe Street (State Rt. 51): Repairs and resurfacing cause varying lane closings on Erie between Monroe and Cherry streets, while Monroe is closed for reconstruction between Erie and Michigan streets. Use Michigan or 14th Street to reach I-75 entrance ramps.
8. State Rt. 25: Intersection work at Roachton Road reduces Route 25 to one lane in each direction. Roachton is restricted to westbound traffic only east of Route 25. Detour via State Rt. 199 and Eckel Junction. Expect delays on Route 25.
9. Byrne Road: Street and bridge reconstruction restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Glendale Avenue and Airport Highway through November. Delays are likely. Use Detroit Avenue or Eastgate Road instead.
10. State Rt. 582, I-75: Deck repairs close the route at the bridge over I-75. Plan alternate routes to avoid using the long posted detours, which take Route 582 traffic down to Bowling Green on I-75, and westbound traffic up to Perrysburg. Route 582 is closed west of State Rt. 25 for intersection work. Detour via State Rt. 64, Newton Road, and Route 25.
11. U.S. 20/State Rt. 120 (Central Avenue), McCord Road: Work associated with widening Central closes southbound McCord between Kelker Street. Several nearby side streets are closed at Central. Detour via King Road.
12. Erie Street: Bridge reconstruction closes the street between Collingwood and Hamilton until the end of August. A posted detour follows Collingwood and Nebraska.
13. Talmadge Road, Sylvania Avenue: Resurfacing and repairs require lane closings on both streets near their intersection. Delays are likely, especially during rush hours.
14. U.S. 23: A bridge replacement at the Portage River closes the road just south of State Rt. 105 near Pemberville through September. Detour via Routes 105 and 199 and U.S. 6.
15. State Rts. 2, 579: Intersection reconstruction requires occasional flag zones on Route 2.
16. U.S. 20, State Rt. 295: Turn-lane construction closes Route 295 on the north side of U.S. 20 through today. Detour via Fulton-Lucas and Sylvania.
17. State Rts. 65, 578: Repairs to the Providence-Grand Rapids Bridge close the bridge to northbound traffic until Aug. 27. The posted detour follows State Rts. 65 and 109 and U.S. 24, which for Toledo-bound traffic is circuitous. But the alternate route, Route 65 east of Grand Rapids, is being repaved as far as State Rt. 235, requiring flag zones. Allow extra time.
18. State Rt. 64: A culvert replacement closes the route between State Rt. 2/U.S. 20A and Monclova Road through tomorrow. Detour via State Rt. 295 and U.S. 20A.
19. Collingwood Boulevard: Bridge reconstruction closes the street at I-75, between Dorr and Monroe, until Sept. 8.
20. Summit Street: Reconstruction of the Ottawa River bridge reduces traffic to one lane in each direction.
21. Front Street: A sinkhole closes Front just north of Wheeling. Trucks are detoured via Consaul, Corduroy, Otter Creek, and Millard. Cars may use York to reach Otter Creek.
OFF THE MAP
I-75/State Rt. 18: The rebuilt Route 18 bridge over I-75 east of North Baltimore is scheduled to reopen late today. Nighttime lane closings may occur on I-75.
U.S. 6/20: Repaving of the Fremont bypass causes daily lane closings, especially east of State Rt. 53. Delays are possible.
U.S. 23: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between State Rts. 182 and 199 near Upper Sandusky.
Contact the Road Warrior at: