Loading…
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: Saturday, 4/16/2005

Mercury scare quarantines 240 in Michigan town

LICHFIELD, Mich. - Some 240 elementary and high-school students were quarantined and two third-graders were treated at a local hospital yesterday after a small amount of mercury evaporated when a third-grade student opened a small plastic bottle of the chemical on a school bus on the way to school, school officials said.

A girl attending the third grade at Litchfield Elementary School got interested in a small bottle she found at a classmate's house and the two decided to take it to school without realizing that it contained a dangerous chemical.

The two opened the bottle about 7:30 a.m. on the bus on their way to school and some of the chemical evaporated, Superintendent Clair Dean said.

A teacher later saw the two girls play with the bottle at school and the school alerted officials from the state health department and the Environmental Protection Agency, who found mercury levels on the bus, at the school, and on some of the students' clothing, shoes, and backpacks.

The students washed their hands for five minutes. Those whose items were contaminated changed into clothes their parents brought them from home and were allowed to go home about 4 p.m., Ms. Dean said.

The two students who brought the bottle to the school had blood tests done as a precaution. The bus was to be cleaned by a hazardous materials company.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest



Poll