Loading…
Friday, April 18, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: 8/11/2010

Civilian casualties climb in Afghanistan

LOS ANGELES TIMES

KABUL, Afghanistan - For ordinary Afghans, going about one's daily business - commuting to school or work, shopping, riding the bus - is getting more dangerous all the time.

The pace of Afghan civilian casualties accelerated sharply in the first half of 2010, increasing 31 percent, with women and children bearing the brunt of spiraling violence, the United Nations said Tuesday.

The Western military and its Afghan allies were responsible for a significantly smaller proportion of deaths than previously, with insurgents blamed for roughly three-quarters of the fatalities, the U.N. mission in Afghanistan said.

Most of the civilian casualties - nearly 1,300 dead and almost 2,000 injured from Jan. 1 through June 30 - were caused by improvised bombs, which are also the principal killer of NATO troops. Insurgents are building not only more bombs, but more powerful ones, the U.N. said.

That means Afghans are at risk when they engage in the most mundane of activities, essentially anything that involves leaving their homes.

Tuesday, coinciding with the release of the U.N. report, a suicide bombing in a residential neighborhood in central Kabul killed at least three people, authorities said.

Insurgent-caused casualties are up more than 50 percent from the same period a year ago. The jump may have prompted the Taliban to recently issue a "code of conduct" that discourages the indiscriminate killing of civilians.

But that code instructs the movement's fighters to target Afghans who work with the government or with Western forces; such assassinations have doubled so far this year.

"These figures show that the Taliban are resorting to desperate measures, increasingly executing and assassinating civilians, including teachers, doctors, civil servants, and tribal elders," said Rachel Reid, Afghanistan researcher for Human Rights Watch, based in New York.

The Taliban are locked in something of a public relations war with NATO, which in recent weeks has been issuing near-daily accounts of civilian deaths at insurgents' hands. The pace approaches that of its battlefield reports.

On the one hand, the Taliban routinely claim responsibility for atrocities such as the killing of 10 members of a Christian charity's medical team last week. But the insurgents sometimes angrily contest government or media accounts of cruel punishments meted out to civilians for alleged offenses under Islamic law.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force said the U.N. figures reflected strenuous efforts to bring down civilian casualties. It said the figures corresponded with its statistics.

The U.N. mission's director of human rights, Georgette Gagnon, called on all parties to do more to safeguard the lives of noncombatants.

The greatest number of lethal attacks took place in the south, the Taliban's traditional heartland, where deaths increased by 43 percent, the U.N. said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest



Poll