Tuesday, July 07, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Thursday, 10/29/2009

Police kill attacker in North Toledo


A 29-year-old man was fatally shot Thursday by police after he attacked officers with pipes and stabbed his mother twice, police said.

The deceased man, identified as Pyon Simmons, was shot three times by police during the altercation about 10:30 a.m. at the intersection of Northridge Drive and Knollcrest Road, Toledo Police Chief Mike Navarre said.

He was shot twice in the side and once in the head and pronounced dead at the scene, the chief said.

The altercation with officers occurred after they responded to a call from a woman who reported she was driving another woman to the hospital after she was stabbed by her son.

The stabbing victim, Su Ok Simmons, told police that her son stabbed her unprovoked.

She was stabbed twice in the side and was taken to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center where she was in serious condition.

Ms. Simmons told police that her son stabbed her once inside their home and again outside. Two possible weapons were found that appeared to have blood on them — a knife in a trash can outside the house and a pair of scissors in the front yard, Chief Navarre said.

Apparently Simmons was bipolar and was off his medication, his mother told police.

When the officers arrived to investigate the stabbing, they found Simmons trying to steal a truck from a neighbor. He was armed with pipes and the lid to a metal garbage can that he used as a shield.

"He had a couple of pipes with him and the officers tried to get him to put down the pipes, tried to get him down on the ground. He resisted their efforts. He was swinging the pipes," the chief said.

He injured two officers with the pipes, Officer David O'Brien, 48, and Officer Amy Shaner, 38, who were taken to Mercy St. Vincent for treatment.

Another officer, James Mawer, 55, was involved, but not sent to the hospital for treatment, the chief said.

The officers at first tried to use a Taser on the man.

All three used their Tasers, but only one made contact with both prongs hitting Simmons.

He was knocked to the ground, but took out the prongs from his body, got up, and continued to fight with officers, Chief Navarre said.

That's when the officers shot and killed Simmons.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.