Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SOLEMN MEMORIALS MARK JFK 50TH ANNIVERSARY
Dallas wants to reflect on Kennedy’s legacy in its Dealey Plaza ceremony.
2. SKIES COULD BECOME CELLPHONE-FRIENDLY
Federal regulators are considering changing “outdated” rules against making calls during passenger flights.
3. GOP WARNS DEMOCRATS THEY MIGHT REGRET FILIBUSTER CURB
Partisan animosity shows no sign of letting up ahead of new battles on federal default and budget deficit.
4. WHY THE ARCTIC IS ON THE U.S. MILITARY’S RADAR
Melting ice caps and competition for oil and gas make the polar region the new frontier for investment and exploration.
5. SUPERMARKET COLLAPSE KILLS 32 IN LATVIA
Officials in the northern European nation are trying to find out why the roof of the building caved in.
6. STATE OF MOURNING REFLECTS EGYPT’S MOOD
Terrorist attacks, train accidents and even a World Cup qualifier defeat are souring Egyptians’ outlook on their country’s future.
7. IN ARIZONA, ‘CAUSE FOR GRAVE ALARM’
Thousands of calls to a state hotline alleging child abuse or neglect were never investigated, officials discover.
8. WHICH MONARCH IS VISITING THE WHITE HOUSE
Morocco’s King Mohammed VI will discuss a range of issues, possibly including a dispute with neighboring Algeria, with Obama.
9. HOW XBOX COULD BE HURTING MICROSOFT
Critics argue the gaming console whose latest model debuted today is tying customers to living rooms when the world has gone mobile.
10. ALASKA CHEERS ARRIVAL OF NATIONAL RESTAURANT CHAINS
Remoteness of the 49th state is no longer preventing Alaskans from enjoying Lower-48 favorites like Olive Garden and Hard Rock Cafe.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.