LAKELAND, Fla. — Rick Porcello has earned the No. 5 starter's job in the Detroit Tigers' rotation, and Drew Smyly will start the season in the bullpen.
Porcello was 10-12 with a 4.59 ERA in 31 starts for the AL champions last season, when Smyly went 4-3 with a 3.99 ERA in 18 starts as a rookie. Porcello is 3-1 with a 3.00 ERA in six spring training appearances; Smyly is 4-0 with a 3.38 ERA.
Detroit also said today that utilityman Matt Tuiasosopo will be on the opening-day roster. Signed to a minor league contract in November, he is batting .327 with six doubles during spring training.
- Detroit Tigers lose to Atlanta Braves 4-2, Alfredo Simon allows 1 run in 6 innings
- Tigers tie Phillies 4-4 in spring training
- Verlander leaves with triceps cramping in Tigers' loss
- Heart of the order big for Tigers in 6-4 win over Orioles
- Cabrera makes debut at 1B, does well as Tigers beat Marlins