Loading…
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: 10/20/2013

Suspected gas leak kills Tenn. man camping out for NASCAR race in Ala., wife hospitalized

ASSOCIATED PRESS

TALLADEGA, Ala. — Talladega County authorities say a suspected carbon monoxide leak has killed a Tennessee man who was camping out for a NASCAR race.

Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore says friends of the man and his wife found the couple unresponsive inside their motor home at the Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday afternoon.

Deputy Coroner Larry Seals says the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator’s exhaust system. Authorities found the man dead when they arrived, and his wife has been hospitalized in Birmingham. The man’s identity has not yet been released.

The man is at least the second racing fan to die while camping out near the track this year.

In early May a Georgia man accidentally drowned in a creek near the track.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories










Poll