Here is a look at the MAC West power rankings. Not a ton of movement this week, but Western Michigan vaults into the No. 3 spot.
1. Toledo (Last week: 1) — The Rockets suffered their first loss of the season in a 52-30 defeat at Miami (Fla.). There is no shame in losing to the No. 14 Hurricanes on the road. Toledo is off this week before opening its MAC schedule with a home game against Eastern Michigan.
2. Northern Illinois (Last week: 2) — The Huskies got the marquee win for the MAC so far in the non-conference schedule with a 21-17 victory at Nebraska, but were off this past week. Northern Illinois will return to action with a trip to San Diego State, one of the top Group of Five teams in the country, on Saturday.
3. Western Michigan (Last week: 4) — The Broncos were impressive in a 49-14 rout of Wagner and evened their record at 2-2 after a tough non-conference schedule. Western Michigan is a team that no one wants to play during the conference slate.
4. Eastern Michigan (Last week: 3) — The Eagles lost a heartbreaker to MAC East favorite Ohio in a 27-20 overtime game. Eastern Michigan is now 2-1 and will travel to Kentucky this week to take on the Wildcats.
5. Central Michigan (Last week: 5) — The Chippewas stay in the same spot after a 31-17 loss to Miami in their conference opener. Central Michigan travels to Boston College this Saturday. After dominating Kansas, 45-27, the Chippewas have not looked good in losses to Syracuse and Miami.
6. Ball State (Last week: 6) — The Cardinals are coming off of a 33-21 loss at Western Kentucky on Saturday. They are now 2-2 and will host Western Michigan in a big MAC West matchup this Saturday in Kalamazoo.
Click here to check out John Wagner’s MAC East power rankings for this week.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.